Allow Myself to Introduce… Myself…

I was a perhaps a bit hasty in introducing myself in my first post. There’s probably more that my multitudes of readers want to know about me.

I should probably say a bit about my chaplaincy. I am the Blue Ocean Faith Chaplain here at MIT. Blue Ocean is a small and very new collection of churches with, what I find to be, a refreshingly simple (yet deeply thoughtful) approach to faith in God.

My big hope for my chaplaincy is that I can help everyone at MIT to thrive spiritually—with no pressure to change their religious affiliation or lack thereof. And I’ve promised to hazard some embryonic ideas about how this might happen in upcoming posts.

Let’s see… I live in Somerville in between the two awesome neighborhoods of Inman Square and Union Square with my wife Mary and 3 1/2 year old daughter Lily. They are awesome. Mary is a special education expert, a yoga teacher (often teaching yoga here at MIT) and the most fun person I have ever met. Lily is a joyful and tireless bike-rider, playground-explorer, clothes-changer and literary expert on the entire Curious George canon. Lily will have a little brother soon!

Hobby-wise, I’ve always been drawn towards endurance sports and have given rowing, running and cycling a few years each. I love watching movies and reruns of Star Trek.

And I’d like to say a bit about why I care about spirituality at MIT. But I’m realizing that I cannot do so concisely. So that is going to be in a separate and soon-appearing post.

[Updated on 7/24/2015 with up-to-date pictures, ages and Blue Ocean Faith affiliation, etc.]