Just think of me as the Marlboro Man of faith

I had the wonderful opportunity to participate in an event hosted by MIT’s Addir Fellows Interfaith program. I’m a big big fan of Addir and think MIT is super-fortunate to have this offering.

addir-bridgeThis particular event (and the audio is embedded below) was a panel of four different types of Christian clergy each speaking to how their tradition responds and is responding to social change movements. I was joined by three of my colleagues from MIT’s Board of Chaplains. Specifically: Catholic, Lutheran and Mormon. And, me you ask, what tradition was I representing? Check out the event poster.

Gosh, I was a little surprised to see that I was the “evangelical clergy”. I suppose neither of those descriptors is inaccurate, but they both felt a little strange to me. And, as I talk about in the spiel I gave at the even, I’m not always sure what the word “evangelical” means. Different people seem to mean vastly different things when they use that word. So I think describing me as evangelical is sort of like labeling this guy as a business man:

Cowboy throwing lassoTechnically he is a business man—in some sense I suppose. But he’s not what you picture when you hear the word businessman.

Anyway, forgive the long preamble. You can listen to the panel here. My apologies to Father Clancy for pressing record a few minutes after he started. And my apologies to everyone for not recording the Q&A =(.

And I just realized that this is the first occasion where I’m talking about Blue Ocean Faith. I’m sure I’ll have much more to say about Blue Ocean before too long. If it’s helpful, my bit starts right at 33:00.